The Department undergraduate programs train students to be competent engineers through lectures, laboratories, problem sessions, research, industry visits and design experiences. To maintain the greatest degree of elective flexibility, each student can select among technical electives, which cover fields such as alternative energy sources, interfacial phenomena, petroleum processing, bioengineering and pulp & paper processes.
The table below lists approved technical electives for Department undergraduate programs. Students should consult the year calendar for course availability. Electives may be cancelled if enrolment is low or if a suitable instructor is not available.
Non-approved courses can be granted credit towards the technical elective program requirement provided permission has been granted by an undergraduate program advisor prior to the student taking the course. Similarly, permission to take a technical elective is at the discretion of the course instructor should any pre-requisites be incomplete.
Approved Technical Electives
Both Chemical Engineering (CHML) and Chemical and Biological Engineering (CHBE) Programs
Chemical Engineering (CHML) Program
Chemical and Biological Engineering (CHBE) Program
- For students who started a Department undergraduate program in:
- 2011, 2012, or 2013 – complete one of CHBE 373 and CHBE 485 plus 12 credits of technical electives.
- 2014 – complete two of CHBE 373, CHBE 484, and CHBE 485 plus 9 credits of technical electives.
- 2015 or later – complete CHBE 373 and CHBE 485 plus 6 credits of technical electives.
- CHBE 491 and CHBE 492 must be taken together.
- CHBE 493 and CHBE 494 must be taken together.
- CHBE 495 and CHBE 496 must be taken together.
- Only for students completing the Minor in Commerce Program.
Please consult the Faculty of Applied Science page on Complementary Studies Electives.