Electrokinetic Phenomena, Fouling, Heat Exchangers, Interfacial Phenomena, Particulate Systems, Spouted Beds
New York University, 1953, Eng.Sc.D.
McGill University, 1946, M.Eng.
McGill University, 1945, B.Eng.
RESEARCH FOCUS (2003-2012)
- Hydrodynamics of Liquid-Fluidized Beds (a technique for mobilizing and contacting solid particles by an upward or downward flow of liquid)
- Dynamics of Spouted Beds (a technique for mobilizing and contacting coarse solid particles by means of an upwardly directed gas jet located at the bottom of the bed of solids)
- Fouling of heat exchangers
- Epstein, N. “Liquid-Solids Fluidization”, Chapter 26 in Handbook of Fluidization and Fluid-Particle Systems, W.-C. Yang, ed., pp. 705-764, Marcel Dekker Inc. (2003).
- Epstein, N. “A Note on Particle Segregation by Size in Liquid-Solid Fluidization”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 43, 5446-5448 (2004).
- Epstein, N. “Teetering”, Powder Technology 151, 2-14 (2005).
- Escudié, R., Epstein, N., Grace, J.R., Bi, H.T. “Layer Inversion Phenomenon in Binary-Solid Liquid-Fluidized Beds: Prediction of the Inversion Velocity”, Chem. Eng. Sci. 61, 6667-6690 (2006).
- Fahiminia, F., Watkinson, A.P., Epstein, N. “Early Events in the Precipitation Fouling of Calcium Sulphate Dihydrate under Sensible Heating Conditions”, Can. J. Chem. Eng. 85, 679-691, Erratum: 948 (2007).
- Escudié, R., Epstein, N. “Property-Averaging Applied to Determination of Volume Contraction in Binary-Solid Liquid-Fluidized Beds”, Can. J. Chem. Eng. 86, 261-266 (2008).
- Du, W., Bi, X., Epstein, N. “Exploring a Non-Dimensional Varying Exponent Equation Relating Minimum Spouting Velocity to Maximum Spoutable Bed Depth”, Can. J. Chem. Eng. 87, 157-162 (2009).
- Barrozo, M.A.S., Duarte, C.R., Epstein, N., Grace, J.R., Lim, C.J. “Experimental and Computational Fluid Dynamics Study of Dense-Phase, Transition Region, and Dilute-Phase Spouting”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res.49, 5102-5109 (2010).
- Epstein, N. “Empirical and Analytical Hydrodynamics”, Chapter 3 in Spouted and Spout-Fluid Beds: Fundamentals and Applications, N. Epstein and J.R. Grace, eds., pp. 29-56, Cambridge University Press (2011).
- Haddou, J.V.H., Ellis, N., Bi, X., Epstein, N. “Spouting Characteristics of SPF Wood Pellets”, Can. J. Chem. Eng., 6 pages, in press (2012).
Canadian Academy of Engineering
American Institute of Chemical Engineers
Chemical Institute of Canada
Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering