Gasification, Heat Exchange Fouling
UBC, 1969, Ph.D. Chemical Engineering
UBC, 1966, M.A.Sc. Chemical Engineering
McMaster University, 1962, B.Eng. Chemical Engineering
Dr. Watkinson’s current research falls primarily into two main areas:
Biomass gasification, and deposition and fouling of heat exchangers and process equipment
- A.P. Watkinson, Y-H Li, C. Haligva (2016) “Freeboard Tar Destruction Unit” U.S. Patent 9, 364,812
- M.S. Masnadi , J.R. Grace, X.T. Bi, C. J. Lim, N. Ellis, Y-H Li, A.P. Watkinson (2015) “From coal towards renewables: Catalytic/Synergistic effects during steam co-gasification of switchgrass and coal in a pilot-scale bubbling fluidized bed reactor” Renewable Energy 83, 918-930
- M.S. Masnadi, J.R. Grace, X.T. Bi, C. J. Lim, N. Ellis,Y-H Li, A.P. Watkinson (2015) “Single-fuel steam gasification of switchgrass and coal in a bubbling fluidized bed: A comprehensive parameter reference for co-gasification study” Energy 80, 133-147
- W. Wang and A.P. Watkinson (2015) “Deposition from a Sour Heavy Oil Under incipient Coking Conditions: Effects of Surface Materials and temperature” Heat Transfer Engineering 36, 623-631
- W. Wang and A.P. Watkinson (2015) “Deposition from a Sour Heavy Oil Under incipient Coking Conditions: Wall Shear Stress Effects and Mechanism” Heat Exchanger Fouling and Cleaning XI, (Refereed Re-print) www.heatexchanger-fouling.com Paper #9
- J. Song, P. Watkinson, F. Taghipour, D. Posarac, B. Petkovic (2014) “Deposition of Heavy Oil Droplets onto a Circular Disk at Elevated temperatures” Can. J. Chem. Eng. 92, 1481-1487.
- B. Petkovic and A.P. Watkinson (2014) “Fouling of a Heated Rod in a Stirred tank System” Heat Transfer Engineering 35(3) 302-10.
- Watkinson, AP and ACL Lisboa (2011) “Gasification, pyrolysis and combustion” : Chapt 15 in Spouted and Spout-Fluid Beds, N Epstein, J Grace ( Eds), Cambridge University Press, UK.
- Watkinson, AP, Z Fan, B Petkovic (2011) ”Extending Fouling Concepts from Heat Exchangers to Process Equipment” Proc. Int. Conf. Heat Exchanger Fouling and Cleaning, Crete Island, Greece pp15-22. Published on-line www.heatexchanger-fouling.com
- Wang, W and AP Watkinson (2011) “Iron Sulphide and Coke Fouling from Sour Oils:Review and Initial Experiments” Proc. Int. Conf. Heat Exchanger Fouling and Cleaning, Crete Island, Greece pp23-30. Published on-line www.heatexchanger-fouling.com
- Lakghomi, B, F Taghipour, D Posarac, AP Watkinson (2011) “CFD Simulation of Aerosol Flow and Hydrocarbon Fouling on a Circular Disk” Chemical Engineering Journal 172, 507-516.
- Fan, Z and AP Watkinson (2011)”Kinetics and Structural Evolution During Aging of Coker Vapor Deposits” Heat Transfer Engineering 32 (3-4) 237-247.
- Li YH and AP Watkinson (2011) “Deposit Formation during Evaporation of a Pulp Mill Effluent” Heat Transfer Engineering 13 (3-4) 258-63.
- Sakaguchi, M, AP Watkinson, and N Ellis (2010) “Steam Gasification of Bio-oil and Bio-oil/Char Slurry in a Fluidized Bed Reactor” EnergyFuels 24, 5181-5189.
- Sakaguchi, M, AP Watkinson and N Ellis (2010) “Steam Gasification Reactivity of Char from Rapid Pyrolysis of Bio-oil/Char Slurry” FUEL 89, 3078-3084
- Watkinson AP and YH Li (2009) “Fouling Characteristics of a Heavy Vacuum Gas Oil in the Presence of Dissolved Oxygen” ibid, pp 27-32.
- Hong, and AP Watkinson (2009) “Precipitation and Fouling in Heavy Oil-Diluent Blends”
- Heat Transfer Engineering 30(10-11) 786-793.
- Watkinson, AP (2007) “Deposition from Crude Oils in Heat Exchangers” Heat Transfer Engineering 26, 177-184.
- Li, YH, AP Watkinson, P Hererra, F Fahiminia and M James (2007) “Formation of Gum and deposits in an Oxygenated Naphtha Stream” ECI Sym. Ser. Vol. RP5, BePress http://services.bepress.com/eci/heatexchanger2007/2 pp80-89.
- Fahiminia, F, AP Watkinson and N Epstein (2007) ”Experiments and Modeling of Calcium Sulphate Precipitation under Sensible Heating Conditions: Initial Fouling and Bulk Precipitation Studies” ECI Sym. Ser. Vol. RP5, BePress http://services.bepress.com/eci/heatexchanger2007/2 pp175-184
- Fahiminia, F, AP Watkinson and N Epstein (2007) “Early Events in the Precipitation Fouling of Calcium Sulphate Dihydrate under Sensible Heating Conditions” Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering 85 679-691; Erratum p 948
- Watkinson, AP, YH Li, X Bi, JR Grace, CJ Lim (2006) “ Formation of dioxins during combustion of salt-laden hog fuel” in Science in Thermal and Chemical Biomass Conversion, CPL Press, UK Bridgwater & Boocock ( Eds.) Vol.1, pp82-97.
- Li, YH, AP Watkinson, PV Barr (2006) “Firing a pilot lime kiln with bio-oil “, ibid., Vol. 2, pp1491-1503.
- Fan, Z and AP Watkinson (2006) “Formation and Characteristics of Carbonaceous Deposits from Heavy Hydrocarbon Coking Vapors” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. Paper 45, 6428-6435.
- Fan Z and AP Watkinson (2006) “Aging of Carbonaceous Deposits from Heavy Hydrocarbon Vapors” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 45, 6104-6110
Chemical Institute of Canada, Fellow
Canadian Society of Chemical Engineers, Member