Chemical Engineering was established under the department of Chemistry in the Faculty of Arts at UBC in 1915 as the first Canadian chemical engineering program west of Ontario. A separate Department of Chemical Engineering was established in 1954.
Agricultural Engineering and Agricultural Mechanics were established at UBC in 1945, evolving to become Biological Engineering and then Bio-Resource Engineering in 1975. Chemical Engineering merged in 1996 with the Bio-Resource Engineering and the department was subsequently renamed in 1999 as the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering. The department’s growth and evolution reflects industry and research interests in our graduates.
The Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering at UBC has an established worldwide reputation for its accredited undergraduate programs, innovative research and the quality of its graduates and faculty.
Read about the history of the department.