- What degrees are offered?
- How do I apply & what’s the application process?
- Is there an application fee?
- What documents do I have to submit with my application?
- Do I have to contact a supervisor after I submit an application?
- Can I submit my documents after the application deadline? What about my reference letters?
- What are the course fees for the program?
- Is there financial support provided by the department?
- Additional Links
Graduate degrees offered through Chemical and Biological Engineering are:
• The degree of PhD (Doctor of Philosophy)
• The degree of MASc (Master of Applied Science, Thesis-based program)
• The degree of MSc (Master of Science, Thesis-based program)
• The degree of MEng (Master of Engineering, Course-based program)
Applications for M.ASc., M.Sc. and Ph.D. graduate studies are managed through the Faculty of Graduate Studies. Visit their pages to obtain detailed information regarding the application process.
MEng applicants should apply directly to the program.
To check the status of your application please log in to My Applications.
There are non-refundable application fees and fees are valid for one year only. Fees can be paid by credit card.
Documents that are required to be uploaded in order for your application to be considered complete include:
- 3 Academic/professional references
- Statement of Intent
- Writing Sample
- Official transcripts (In-Progress and Conferred)*
- English Language Proficiency Test (Test scores must be sent directly to the University to complete your application).**
- GRE test scores are not required by our department at this time.
*Grade Sheets do not count as official transcripts. Please ensure your transcripts submitted follow the University’s Guidelines.
** Since English is the primary language of instruction and communication at UBC, all applicants must be proficient in English prior to admission. Applicants from a university outside Canada in which English is not the primary language of instruction within the institution must provide results of an English proficiency examination as part of their application. For more information visit the Faculty of Graduate Studies English Proficiency Requirements.
Applicants who intend on applying to our research Master’s programs (MASc and MSc) and the PhD program, must contact a supervisor within our faculty for admission after an application is submitted. Please submit an application through the application portal, and provide your prospective supervisor with your UBC Student Number.
Our MEng program is course-based and does not require you to contact a supervisor after submitting an application.
Unfortunately, once our document deadline has passed, we will not be accepting any more application materials. Thank you for your understanding.
The deadline to submit references for your application is listed on your graduate program application portal. Once this deadline has passed, the portal will be closed and references can no longer be uploaded to your application.
The department provides financial support to successful candidates to our M.A.Sc., M.Sc. and PhD programs.
A Graduate Research Assistantship is offered to all admitted research-based students. The funding amount is dependent on the student’s program. The GRA is financial support in the form of a stipend for research-based Graduate Students and can be used towards Tuition and Living expenses. Our program guarantees this GRA for admitted research-students for the first 2 years for MASc/MSc students, and first 4 years for PhD students.
M.Eng. students do not receive any stipend from the Department.
Other scholarships and awards opportunities: The Department encourages students to apply for scholarships, fellowships, awards, grants and TA-ships both internally and externally. More award information can be found at Faculty of Graduate Studies Scholarships, Awards and Funding.
If you have any other questions, please contact our Graduate Office at email@example.com