My professional interest and expertise is in the area of thermodynamics, heat transfer and multiphase flows, particularly in boiling heat transfer. Over the course of my research career, I worked on a number of theoretical studies and models of the boiling phenomena as well as on their practical applications in nuclear industry and metallurgy. Current research projects, in collaboration with industrial partners such as ArcelorMittal Dofasco, Dillingen Hütte, Posco and Siemens, are related to jet impingement boiling and heat transfer modelling for improvement of cooling techniques during steel production in hot strip and hot plate mills.
Over time, my professional career has taken the direction of the academic teaching stream, resulting in genuine interest in engineering education, particularly in first year engineering curriculum, implementation of project based learning and outreach programs. I actively participate in research activities as a member of the Centre for Research in Engineering Education (CREEd). More recently, I became involved with curriculum development of a graduate level program in Clean Energy Engineering. In an ongoing effort to further improve this specific curriculum and course delivery, implementation of innovative teaching techniques and flexible learning have become my main focus. I am particularly interested in further inclusion of Energy Efficiency of Buildings and Green Building Design in the Clean Energy program portfolio.
· Nobari A.H., Prodanovic V., Militzer M., “Modeling of Heat Transfer during Cooling of a Hot Steel Plate”, MS&T 2013 Conference, Montreal, QC, October 2013
· Militzer M., Prodanovic V., Jia T., Garcin T., “Process Model for Accelerated Cooling of Hot-rolled Low-carbon Steels“, ICME 2013, Salt Lake City, Utah, 7-11 July 2013
· Chester N.L., Wells M.A., Prodanovic V., “Effect Of Inclination Angle and Flow Rate on the Heat Transfer During Bottom Jet Cooling of a Steel Plate”, ASME, Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 134 (2012)
· Vakili S., Nobari A.H., Prodanovic V., Militzer M., “Accelerated Cooling Model for Hot Rolled Steel Products”, 4th Int. Conference. on Thermomechanical Processing of Steel, September 10-12, Sheffield, UK (2012)
· Prodanovic V., Militzer M., Schorr R., Tacke K.H. and Kirsch H.J., “Experimental Investigation of Submerged Jets during Accelerated Cooling of Plates”, International Symposium on the Recent Developments in Plate Steels, Winter Park, Colorado, June 2011.
· Prodanovic V. and Militzer M., “Modeling Heat Extraction during Accelerated Cooling of Plates”, International Symposium on the Recent Developments in Plate Steels, Winter Park, Colorado, June 2011.
· Wells M.A., Militzer M., Prodanovic V., “Heat Transfer During Run-Out Table Cooling – Effect of Jet Configuration”, Iron & Steel Technology, Vol 5. No 10, pp. 85-92 (2008)
· Jondhale K.V., Wells M.A., Militzer M., Prodanovic V., “Heat Transfer During Multiple Jet Impingement on the Top Surface of Hot Rolled Steel Strip”, Steel Research Int., Vol. 79, No.12. pp 938-946 (2008)
· Prodanovic V., Militzer M., Kirsch H.J.and Tacke K.-H.,” Pilot-scale cooling investigations for steel plates”, 3rd Int. Conference. on Thermomechanical Processing of Steel, September 10-12, Padova, Italy (2008)
· Prodanovic V. and Wells M., “Propagation of the Wetting Front during Jet Impingement Boiling on a Horizontal Flat Surface”, ECI, 6th International Conference on Boiling Heat Transfer, May 7-12, Spoleto Italy (2006)
· Hauksson A.T., Fraser D., Prodanovic V., Samarasekera I.V., ”Experimental Study Of Boiling Heat Transfer During Subcooled Water Jet Impingement on a Flat Steel Surface”, Ironmaking and Steelmaking, Vol. 31, No.1. pp 51-56 (2004)
· Prodanovic V., Fraser D., Militzer M., ”Simulation Of Runout Table Cooling By Water Jet Impingement on Moving Plates – A Novel Experimental Method”, 2nd Int. Conference. on Thermomechanical Processing of Steel , Proc. pp. 25-32, June 15-17, Liege, Belgium (2004)
· Prodanovic V., Fraser D., Salcudean M., ”On the Transition from Partial to Fully Developed Subcooled Flow Boiling”, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, Vol. 45. pp. 4727-4738 (2002)
· Prodanovic V., Fraser D., Salcudean M., ”Bubble Behaviour in Subcooled Flow Boiling of Water at Low Pressures and Low Flow Rates”, Int. J. Multiphase Flow, Vol. 28, pp. 1-19 (2002)
Publications on Engineering Education
· C. Yan, V. Prodanovic, R. Taheri-Ardebili, “Students’ Perception of Project Based Learning Activities at the School of Engineering, UBC”, ASEE 121st Annual Conference & Exposition, Indianapolis, Indiana, June 2014
· R. Taheri-Ardebili, T. Johnson, A. Milani, V. Prodanovic, R. Seethaler, “Challenges Facing First Year Science and Engineering Students and Their Education”, 9th Annual Learning Conference Enhancing Student Learning, Kelowna, BC, May 2013
· R. Taheri-Ardebili, V. Prodanovic, C Yan, “Effectiveness of Project Based Learning (PBL) Activities in Improving the Quality of Education”, 8th Annual Learning Conference Scholarly Approaches: Evidence-Informed Teaching and Learning, Kelowna, BC, May 2012
· Prodanovic V., Seethaler R., Calisal S., “What Have our Second Year Engineering Students Learned So Far? Try Building a Hovercraft”, Tapestry magazine, UBC, 2009
· Labun C., Prodanovic V., “Finding your Inner Engineer – A Fun Pre-engineering Activity for Elementary Students”, Catalyst 2008, BCScTA Conference, Kelowna BC, April 2008
· Prodanovic V., Labun C., “Get in Gear – A Pre-engineering Activity for Middle and High School Students”, Catalyst 2008, BCScTA Conference, Kelowna BC, April 2008